Saturday, March 10, 2012

Petites - Calgary

Petite Restaurant on Urbanspoon
344 17 Ave SW

On the joyous occasion of my significant other's birthday, we had decided to make reservations at Petites in Calgary. This is supposedly a french cuisine restaurant that apparently had decent reviews so it was the woman of the hour's choice to head down and give it a good tasting.

We had made reservations for about 12 persons and we awkwardly seated at a mash of 2 person tables pushed together. Large groups is definitely not a speciality of this restaurant. To support that as well, they were insisting that our food choices be limited to a smaller menu that the chefs had apparently pre-prepared for. I found that a little disconcerting that they could not support their full menu just because we were a larger group. It kind of boggles the mind actually, I mean, what if everyone in the whole restaurant ordered something different? Does this mean they would have difficulties in keeping up? It did not really make sense to me. When comparing our limited menu to the full menu, there was not really much of a difference other than about 5-6 dishes that were eliminated, one being the roast canard that the birthday girl really wanted and with some near-begging, was allowed to order, like they were doing us a huge favour or something.

The meal began with complimentary foccocia bread and a balsamic vinegar and olive oil dip. We ordered the beef tartare to start and I had the Beef Tenderloin done at medium-rare. The food arrived promptly and the Tartare was fantastic. Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture since I was hungry. I do recommend the tartare though, it was an excellently prepared appetizer. Well proportioned and made with excellent spices, the aromas were delicious as we spread it over some lightly toasted bread.

The beef tenderloin was very well prepared. Succulent and juicy, so tender in my mouth that it felt as though it was nearly melting. It was rich with flavour and a great cut of meat. The potatoe puree ( also known as mash potatoes to us laymen) was a good side as was the vegetables. Presentation seemed a bit messy and not the most appetizing, most definitely not what you would expect from a classy french restaurant. It was like they just blobbed the mash potatoes on the plate and put the beef on top with a ravioli hat, smothered in gravy. The chef could use a little more creativity.

The plate of duck was even worse for presentation, however it did taste very good as I had a couple bites to taste. The arctic char that the other's ordered had a nicer presentation, however I didn't have a chance to taste it. From their feedback though, it was very well received.

Service was decent. We were served by two asian male servers who seemed well knowledgeable about the dishes that were being served. They were always around to make sure our water was full and made sure that any drink orders or whatever else we needed during the meal was available. Unfortunately, their lack of a french accent took away from the fantasy of french cuisine, however that is to be expected in Calgary.

The mandatory gratuity was added to our bill which is something that I have always despised. I am usually a 20% tipper when the service and food are excellent but when I am forced to pay gratuities I tend to pay down to the last penny. It is a disadvantage to the service staff in my opinion as I have a pretty high tolerance for poor service, after all, I have worked in the industry in the past.

Overall, I would recommend this place for a night out with a few friends or even a date, though not a regularly occurring night out. There is comparable food around Calgary for similar, if not less, prices.

No comments:

Post a Comment